Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mike Barnes

Default Dumb amplifier to feed speaker from earphone socket

In uk.d-i-y, IanMayo wrote:
Hi all,
I want to install a pair of speakers in our en-suite so that we can
continue to hear what's on the TV in the main bedroom.

I've established that my freeview box (NetGem) continue to send sound
out via SCART when there's an earpiece in use.

I guess I need some kind of amplifier between the earpiece socket & the
speakers. It doesn't seem worth a traditional hi-fi type amplifier
just for a couple of ~4" speakers. I could purchase a couple of
"Active" speakers intended for PC/mp3-player use, but I'd quite like to
fit embedded wall-speakers.

Can anybody please:
a) confirm my intended approach is valid
b) tell me what the mini-amplifier I'm after is called
c) suggest a suitable candidate

If you can live with the size, an old-fashioned but perfectly good hi-fi
amplifier costs next to nothing from eBay. Otherwise, depending on your
constructional skills, you could knock something together quite cheaply
using the IC modules available from CPC, Maplin, etc.

Questions you might consider include: Do you want stereo? Do you want an
independent volume control?

--
Mike Barnes