Posted to alt.home.repair
BP

Default Inventors and/or manufacturers I want to Kill

"RicodJour" wrote in message
ups.com...
wrote:

Yeah, I just love it when I have to keep two sets of wrenches and my
car has both types of bolts so all I do is fight to figure out which
wrench fits properly and which one is a sloppy fit. And even if I hse
a 17MM socket, my ratchet is still a 1/2 inch or 3/8 inch drive, which
means I have to constantly use two different standards of
measurements. Now, they still sell gasoline in gallons, but sell soda
in liters. America did just fine for centuries using the SAE
standards. It's obvious that foreign cars will come with metric
bolts, and in that case, the owner buys metric tools. But American
cars should have SAE bolts, because they were made in America. There
is no reason we need to kiss butt to other countries, and all we have
done trying to convert is confuse people, such as my car having both
type of bolts. Just to adjust the alternator belt I have to use both
SAE and Metric wrenches. That is just assenine.
The REAL reason they wanted to change was just to sell more tools,
sell more of everything else that is not metric, and make life
complicated.

I am having a very tough time believing you are not a troll. The
myopia that passes for your logic is staggering.
- Cars that are "Made in America" are assembled here but have parts
from all over the world. The only reason your car has two types of
bolts, is because of people like you who resist change, even if the new
way is far superior. It's like that idiot that everyone knows who is
married to the dragon lady but won't divorce her, saying things like,
"The devil you know is better than the one you don't." You know,
bull****.
- Because of people like you, this is one of the only three third world
countries still stuck in the 1800's with the Imperial system of
measurement. We're not a colony anymore, get it? There is no more
king, we're a country. We no longer have to stick to an archaic
measuring system that the country that invented it no longer uses!
-You're right that they want to sell more tools, parts and everything
else. We also want to _buy_ more tools, parts and everything else.
The problem comes in when a metric country/company has to make a choice
between setting up two manufacturing lines. One, their standard
metric, is already in place, the other, Imperial, has a limited market
- the US (Libya and Myanmar). You're argument will undoubtably be,
well, we'll make what we need right here, in the good ol' USA. Guess
again. If you're willing to fork over $100K for your Chevy, that might
work, but where are you getting the $100K from?

I cant wait till they convert gasoline to sell in some metric amount,

A liter is close to a quart. Four liters is close to a gallon. That's
all you need to know, and you don't even need to know that.

You'll do what you do right now. You'll keep your eyes open, see a gas
station which has lower prices than the rest, pull over and buy some.
You'll say, give me $20 bucks or fill 'er up. You won't take out a
measuring cup and calculate the conversion. Hell, right now you don't
know if you're getting a gallon or not. You just trust that you are.

and stop using the dollar and convert to the pound. That way when I
take a 7 pound bag of dog food to the counter, and the store also
sells a 10 pound bag, the clerk can ask me if I have a 7 pound or a 10
pound bag, and I will think that is the price they are charging me
because the pound is also a term for an amount of money.

They'll scan the item, you'll pay for it. What do you care what units
are used as long as the net cost to you is reasonable?

All this amounts to is the government making things as complicated as
possible, the same way they do it with income tax forms and pretty
much anything else they touch.

On that, at least, we agree.

The funnier part is where he assumes that the conversion to metric system
requires conversion to the British monetary system! All while the British
are converting to the European monetary system.