Posted to alt.electronics
John Fields

Default Help! electrolytic capacitor 5000 MFD needed

On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:49:35 -0600, "DB" wrote:

Unfortunately I don't have a schematic. There is only one capacitor, but it
has three terminals. That and the notation on the side makes me think it
may be some kind of a dual capacitor in one big can. I had never heard of
such a thing before, but could that be what it is?

---
Please bottom post.

More than likely, that's precisely what it is. Back in the stony
ages it was quite common to have two or three electrolytics in the
same can. The way you describe yours though, makes it sound like
there's a separate terminal coming out of the base for the common
connection, when usually a tab which was part of the case was used
for the common connection. Is thare any other marking on the case?
Like "TYPE FP" or anything like that?

The reason I ask is because there are lots of people selling Mallory
capacitors on the web, and if you know the type number you should be
able to use Goggle to find a source.

Failing that, If you took the thing apart to find out what's
_really_ in the can, as Al suggested, you could substitute what's in
there with new caps or, if you wanted to get really fancy, put the
new caps in the old can for a tidy repair. Caps today are so much
smaller than they were back then they'd prob'ly fit right in there.

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer