Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Norm Dresner

Default What's the strongest gap-filling glue?

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
| Norm Dresner wrote:
|
| Background: a brittle white metal casting (probably some relative of
Zamac)
| broke and the break's not clean. There are visible gaps on the order of
| several mils (definitely nothing as large as a 1/64") in places. Since
| can't weld or solder this stuff, I'm stuck gluing it. The things I have
on
| hand are various hardening time epoxy glues, several viscosity
(thicknesses)
| of cyanoacrylates, and such mundane stuff as Pliobond, Shoe-Goo, and
several
| woodworking glues.
|
| What's going to give me the strongest bond?
|
| TIA
| Norm
|

| Alumaloy will solder pot metal. - GWE

This was part of the trucks for an O-Scale passenger car and that the
area of the break was on the order of 1/8" x 1/16" -- hardly something
take a propane torch to, even the so-called micro torches.

Thanks for the product info -- I'm sure it will come in handy in other
circumstances.

Norm