Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Thermal plasterboard

Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Terry
writes

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , The Natural
Philosopher
writes

Any pointers to how others have approached this problem?

regards
--
Tim Lamb

.
Why don't you look at how we build wood frame houses in Canada!

These commonly have 2 by 4 or 2 by 6 wood stud walls which are heavily
insulated.

Thank you. An excellent description. The UK does not experience the
extremes of weather found in Canada but we think we win on humidity.

I am interested in the purpose of the permeable paper?

So was I.

It seems to be that water will run down the outside of it, but wind will
not go through it, and moisture can, in time, percolate through it from
inside the walls.

I.e. it ensures that there will be no build up of moisture inside the
walls, whilst providing a showerproof coating.

My walls are

- 12x12 oak frame infilled with 7x3 studwork. On a double brick cavity
wall with rockwool battens inside.

Then layers from the outside:-

Render over mesh, onto 1" battens (airgap behind the render, open at the
base to allow any possible water ingress to drip out I suppose. Then
building paper, then 12" waterproof ply. Then the studwork, with
rockwool filled cavity to foil backed 12mm plasterboard laid over the
softwood studs and TO the oak frame.

In an ideal life I'd have used celotex for even better insulation.

This construction entirely satisfied 2000 building regulations.

The structural strength given by the ply cladding is amazing.

The only drawback is you can feel the whole frame tremble when someone
slams a (very heavy solid oak) exterior door :-)

The exterior could have as easily have had weatherboards instead of the
render/mesh. There is no structural strength in the render - its purely
there to keep he driving rain off.

regards