Posted to alt.electronics
Daniel

Default Help! electrolytic capacitor 5000 MFD needed

DB wrote:
Unfortunately I don't have a schematic. There is only one capacitor, but it
has three terminals. That and the notation on the side makes me think it
may be some kind of a dual capacitor in one big can. I had never heard of
such a thing before, but could that be what it is?

- D. Boucher

"John Fields" wrote in message
On Sun, 5 Mar 2006 17:11:37 -0600, "DB" wrote:

Looking for a replacement for a blown Mallory electrolytic capacitor for a
power supply. The capacitor has three terminals, 2 red and one black.
The
capacitor label has the following notation:

Mallory
5000 MFD 20 VDC RED
5000 MFD 20 VDC RED
25002 235-7244A

I did a Google search and could not find anything similar. I am wondering
if anyone has any idea where I could find a suitable replacement.

The capacitor is part of an EICO Battery ELiminator and Charger, Model
1064S.

---
Unless you need an exact replacement for esthetic reasons, any
modern aluminum electrolytic capacitor rated for 20V or more should
work.

If the capacitors are used singly you'll need to get something like
two, 5100µF 20V caps or of they're wired in parallel, a single
10000µF 20V cap should work. Check Digi-Key or Mouser, they're sure
to have something you can use.

Do you have a schematic you can post?

--
John Fields
Professional Circuit Designer

Two capacitors, that share a single negative terminal, in the one
package. Cannot say I've seen it before but sounds reasonable.

Failing a schematic, can you try following the actual circuit to give us
an idea?

Is it possible that the wires off the capacitor red leads go to the
cathodes of two diodes who's anode then connect to windings on a
transformer with the capacitors negative terminal going to another
transformer terminal?

Daniel