Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default vacuum chuck testing

On 4 Mar 2006 16:06:20 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Mac

You say it's still not a good valve, I don't agree, it does not leak,
it works, and it is KISS, what more doe you want ???
A tool that works is a good tool.

I think the weak part is the pvc cap super-glued to the bearing.. it's on a
stress point..
The swivel relieves a bit of the stress, but until I support the quick
disconnect to the pump or something, there is still downward pressure on the
cap..
My original idea was to put the hole for the vac fitting on the side of the cap,
but it was easier to drill the end..

I forgot that it was hooked up today until I was putting Shellawax on a pen
blank.. the vac fittings were NOT happy about 3,000 rpm!

Yes the quick connect/disconnect is not made for that kind of
swiveling, even I could have told you that G, but they sure are nice
to have, so you are able to take a part, piece,gun,tool, and switch for
another or just take it off and store.

the quick connect lasted quite a while, long enough for several tests... which
let me get the theory down and make a couple of good chucks before I had to
concentrate on getting the vacuum TO the chuck..

I never failed, I just learned several ways that vac chucks don't work.. *g*
Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis