Posted to rec.woodworking
Lee Michaels

Default Who owns the rec?

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Oops! My apologies. It looks like the Google intro page has gone away
and the usenet resource page has gone weird. :-(

Hmm. rtfm.mit.edu has gone away too. I think it's time for me to find
(or make) some new reference pages.

Reminds me of an incident when an engineer had posted a URL in another
newsgroup. It was to a very technical oriented website. I went there and
looked at it and it was some very funny soft core porn. I thought he was
playing a prank on us. I made a joke. So did other readers.

A week or two later it came up again and some more jokes. But he was quite
serious and could not understand why everybody was not taking him seriously.
I pointed out what was at the URL he gave us. But he insisted that was not
the case.

So I copied the website and showed him what we were seeing. He was shocked
and then understood all the racy and crude remarks that were made. It turns
out that this was a supplier of specialized parts at his job. And they had
no idea that somebody was hijacking their URL and redirecting potential and
current customers to a porn site.

I pointed out that they probably did not know this and it may be a good idea
to notify the company and have them rectify the situation. He did and they
were super shocked. They got somebody on it and took care of it right away.
Apparently some hackers were hijacking various websites and geting paid so
much per hit on the porn sites. The hackers got caught and were arrested.