Posted to rec.woodworking
Locutus

Default Scrap wood?

"RicodJour" wrote in message
oups.com...
Locutus wrote:
Currently rehabing a house (about 70 yrs old), and I just tore out the
cellar steps. The boards are oak and 2x8 (actual size) and about 40"
long.
They are rough sawn. Over the years I have thrown many boards such as
these
away, but since I am now starting to get into woodworking I am wondering
if
these boards are worth saving?

You throw away clear (in stairs that old they were almost always clear)
oak 2x8s? Why?

In the past I have thrown boards such as these away because they are hard to
work with (akward size (true 2x's), hard to cut, hard to get a nail/screw
through)....

The stuff is dry, stable and you'll still have plenty of size after you
clean it up. There are also usually few nails, and in known locations,
with stair treads - you won't be risking your blades and bits.

Yes they are clear, just two nails at each end. However, I do not have
access to a planer or jointer, though I do plan on buying these tools at
some point, just not sure when. So in the meantime I would just have to
store them. I was also worried about them the being hard on blades since
they are so old?