Posted to rec.woodworking
charlie b

Default Scrap wood?

Locutus wrote:

Currently rehabing a house (about 70 yrs old), and I just tore out the
cellar steps. The boards are oak and 2x8 (actual size) and about 40" long.
They are rough sawn. Over the years I have thrown many boards such as these
away, but since I am now starting to get into woodworking I am wondering if
these boards are worth saving?

Hardwood that thick, even 40" long is worth at least checking out.
Sand or plane the undersides (the top will have ground in dirt, sand
and other stuff that'll dull the hell out of anything sharp) and dampen
with alcohol to see what the grain looks like. If any of them are
quarter
sawn definitely keep them. You can find someone with a drum sander
to clean up the grungy face if the other side looks promising.

charlie b