Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

Default looking for sources of mild steel rods for axles

I wouldn't call that drill rod by any means. It is junk metal that is good
for odds and ends. Zinc coated.

I call drill rod in 3 classes : 1. Heat treat oil cool. 2. Air cool 3. real center less ground high grade.
I have some of all. The center less I have - was from the company that makes drill blanks
for Latrobe(sp) for drills and mills.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

Don't know about other places, but at the local hardware stores here,
the "drill rod" is drawn mild steel shafting. You can tell by the lack
of the ground finish. But it would be exactly what you need for your
axles or pivots, since you say you aren't machining them. Machines
like bubble gum, bandsaw cuts it like cheese, though. I'm assuming
that you're using these for something that isn't too critical,
toy-making perhaps.

Stan