Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael

Default Homemade Lathe

"Ralph E Lindberg" wrote in message
In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

Hi,

I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
(diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?

The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Micheal, is the group "The Sub Committee" still around? If so they
could point you to people that have done this. I have a co-worker that
(used) to build Subs and even powered torpedoes (which he used to sell).
I'd point you at him, but he would get grumpy with both of us.
I looked at adding this to my hobbies years ago, and had an attack of
sanity instead.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv

Ralph,

Yes, they're still around and I visit there boards frequently
(http://www.subcommittee.com/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi). Some germans are
building a BELUGA CLASS sub using wood (end bits only though) and a lathe
(http://projekt1710.borg-core.com/index_e.asp), however my hull is just too
big to fit on any of my lathes, so wondered about making my own. As this is
much larger than anyone else has attempted (excluding military research
vessels) I'm in a bit of a league of my own..

Michael