Posted to rec.woodworking
Ralph E Lindberg

Default Homemade Lathe

In article ,
"Michael" wrote:

Hi,

I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
(diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?

The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Micheal, is the group "The Sub Committee" still around? If so they
could point you to people that have done this. I have a co-worker that
(used) to build Subs and even powered torpedoes (which he used to sell).
I'd point you at him, but he would get grumpy with both of us.
I looked at adding this to my hobbies years ago, and had an attack of
sanity instead.

Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
RV and Camping FAQ can be found at
http://www.ralphandellen.us/rv