Posted to uk.d-i-y
David WE Roberts

Default Braided Flexible Hoses used in Plumbing Systems

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 04:11:02 -0800, Merryterry wrote:

Just a word of warning for all you DIYers. Most of the Stainless Braided
Flexible Hoses obtainable today, and certainly the imported Chinese
ones, have been found to harbour bio-films and thus legionella by the
Water Advisory Regulation Service. The WRAS Approved ones have been
tested and do not support legionella. I must put my hands up and admit I
sell WRAS Approved hoses but I do not want anyone to get Legionnaires
Disease thro ignorance.

snip

http://www.wras.co.uk/Products_Default.asp says:

"The Water Regulations Advisory Scheme approves water fittings and
materials that meet the minimum requirements of the Water Supply (Water
Fittings) Regulations 1999 in England and Wales, The Water Byelaws 2000 in
Scotland and the Water Regulations in Northern Ireland. The approvals are
granted by a panel of experts from the Water Supply Industry who meet
regularly to review the fittings and the reports on any tests that have
been undertaken.

Non-Metallic Materials in contact with the water must comply with the
British Standard 6920, whilst the water fittings themselves must currently
conform to either:

i) An appropriate British Standard or another standard that provides a
similar level of protection and performance;

ii) A specification approved by the Regulator."

Leaving aside the apparent self-interest of the original post this web
site is not very clear about where advice stops and regulation starts.

Either the fitting MUST be approved before being connected to the water
supply or this is merely an advisory body with no teeth.

Reading the web page, it looks more like a consultancy firm.

If using non WRAS approved fittings was an offence I presume our regular
plumbing consultants would have backed up the original poster.

I also presume that large retailers would be unable to stock and supply
such things.

Given that the OP was quoting unpublished work allegedly for future
publication by WRAS this does seem to be a little incestuous.

Or yet another Troll :-(

Cheers

Dave R