Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
CanopyCo

Default Stocking up for emergencies

Rod Speed wrote:
CanopyCo wrote
Bob Ward wrote:

If you've got a fereezer to keep fresh bread on hand, you might as
well allow for keeping mayo in the fridge next to it - but when it
comes to down-and-dirty survival, anyone who insists on fresh bread
and mayo (and having the crusts cut off the sandwich) isn't hungry
enough. Let him skip a meal or two, living off the fat of the land.

The freezer will stay for several days before it goes bad.
The refrigerator will go bad in one day.

Depends on the fridge. Mine doesnt.

Really?
You must not go to the fridge as much as I do.
I have a really bad habit of getting bord and fanning the fridge door
looking for something that was not there last time I looked.

"There must be something in there good to eat" type of thing.

Once you open the door, all the cold air falls out in an upright fridge
/ freezer.

And a generator ran once a day will keep the
freezer up, but will do nothing for the refrigerator.

See above.

Also, there will likely be no loss of electricity during a bird flue
pandemic,

Depends on the source of what is used to generate the power.

True, as well as depending on the people involved in keeping it going.

But still, that is less likely to loose power as quickly as, say, an
earth quake or ice storm.

but you still will not want to run to the store
and get bread baked by sick cooks.

It aint the cooks that are the problem, its all the other monkeys.

Yep, all them monkeys that touch the food before you get it.

Also, there is no need for the fridge at all
if electricity is lost due to an ice storm.

And this is all for use before you get so low as down and dirty survival.

No reason to drop back to the stone age before it is forced on us.

And one solution will not work for every problem,
thus the reason for stocking for both loss of electricity
as well as just a loss of ability to go to town.

Covering the first will normally automatically cover the second fine.

Yes, covering no power at all will cover power but no transport, but it
will not be a pleasant a covering.