Posted to misc.consumers.house

Default Washer and Dryer opinions wanted here

wrote:
You don't need special detergent in a front loader. But you only need to use a
tiny amount of normal detergent per load. We us 1 tablespoon per load.

On 4 Mar 2006 21:23:49 -0800, in misc.consumers.house "Sev"
wrote:

I've heard the stainless are better- as they say won't chip, but if
you're willing to spend more, have you looked at front loading washers?
They are truly superior in energy/ water efficiency- though they do
recommend using special, more expensive detergents. The lack of an
agitator also means they are gentler on the clothes. Check Consumer
Reports magazine or online for recommendations.

I don't think there is a significant advantage to stainless for a
washer. For dishwashers, the interior can sometimes be stained by
foods like tomato sauce, so it can make more sense there. I've only
had enamel type washers and never had a problem with rust.

I agree that if you are willing to spend more money upfront, you should
consider a front loader. Next one I get will likely be that kind. I
think just about everybody agrees they do a better job of washing.
Just watch one and you will see why. The clothes get tossed around in
a way a top loader could never do. Plus, they use less water, so over
time the initial higher outlay can be offset by using less hot water.