Martin Whybrow

Default Runout on 3 Jaw Chuck

"Steve" wrote in message
m...
Well I took the 8" Buck Chuck apart and cleaned everything up. This is
not an adjust-tru chuck but is stamped with an S547. It came with my
'57 Sheldon Lathe so I am assuming it is original. I could not get the
scroll body out of the chuck body. It appears to be a heat fit.
Meaning it looks like the chuck body was heated until it expanded and
then the scroll body was put in. I could not get it out for anything.
I checked the runout on the spindle (.0005"), checked runout on
backplate (.0005"), and checked the body of the chuck and it was
around (.0005"). Chucked up a piece of cold roll steel and it had .01"
runout. That is either a problem with the stock or a problem with the
chuck jaws. I am going to get another piece of drill rod and try it
again. The backplate was such a tight fit into the chuck body that it
had to literally be pulled into the chuck using the outside allen head
screws and this was after being lubed with SAE30 machine oil. There is
no provision for adjusting the backplate while it is on the spindle
because the fit is so tight inside of the chuck it cannot be moved. I
don't believe moving the chuck around the backplate will make a
difference either. From what I can see of the scroll it looks like it
is in very good shape. The jaws also look very good and they are all
in their proper position. Any suggestions if the runout is still there
with the drill rod? What about shimming the backplate and chuck body
to offset the runout? Will this only be good at that diameter? Thanks,
Steve

I've got the same problem with my 4" 3 jaw (Crown) chuck, it runs true on
the spindle but a precision ground 1" rod chucked in it runs out between
..002" and .020". I dismantled the chuck; the scroll wouldn't budge at first,
but I used a plastic drift through the jaw slots to knock it down ; you have
to do this gently moving around the 3 slots as you go so as not to skew it
as it is a precise fit in the body. Once I had the scroll out, I refitted
the jaws and found that I had .0015" of lift in the no. 1 jaw which
explained the poor repeatability. I don't know where to get spares for this
chuck, so it's destined for the rubbish bin eventually.
Martin.
--
martindot herewhybrowat herentlworlddot herecom