Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default Mid two story, two bedroom terrace. What are the main requirements for converting attic to 3rd bedroom?

On Sun, 05 Mar 2006 14:43:31 +0000, Tez tez@none wrote:

Hi

I have a couple of quotes from builders for converting my loft to a
third bedroom. My mid-terrace house has a ground floor and first
floor at the moment. Another flight of steps will be put in to lead
to the attic bedroom.

One builder mentioned increasing the thickness of the ceiling below to
meet building regulations. The other builder didnt mention changing
anything outside of the attic space.

Are there basic regulations that have to be met when converting an
attic to a third bedroom - fire resistance, ventilations, insulation,
fire escape? Are there legal requirements? Will a planning officer
come round and ask for it to be changed if it isnt done right?

THanks for any help

R.

The main requirements are as you've listed.

In terms of construction and safety, the Building Regulations apply
and are handled by Building Control at your local authority.

You need to make an application to them and they will inspect it,
normally at specific stages during the work. if it doesn't meet the
requirements they can force it to be corrected.

Planning departments are separate and deal with predominantly
aesthetic issues in this context. You may or may not need planning
permission as well so should also talk to that department.

--

..andy