Posted to uk.d-i-y
ashnook

Default Solar water heating

"Doctor Drivel" wrote in message
reenews.net...

"ashnook" wrote in message
Quality & Value
"ashnook" wrote in message
I am looking at building a solar water heating system for domestic hot
water. I have 'Googled' and found quite a few good sites for DIY panels,
does anyone in this group have any good links to panel construction and
control systems?

Also has anyone (silly question!) done it and was it worth it.

I can but a system for about 2.5K but I would like to try to do some or
all of it myself.

Thanks.

--
brian

Thanks for the input Group. The Navitron stuff looks good.

I want to use something on a barn conversion we might move to. Add more
insulation etc. is not an option as no loft etc. exists. The boiler is
oil fired but no indirect to HW tank so all HW is electric, E7 at night
and full price during the day. I can get to the tank from the roof line
so I was thinking solar HW would be helpful here.

I thing self build for possibly £1k might be worthwhile if we assume we
will stay for 10 years. Once installed the running costs are very low and
almost free of energy price rises.

... or have I got me head in a dark place?

No, you are correct. 5 years ago laughed at peopel who eco things and
bopasted they virtually no insulation and oil bills were low. How time
schange quickly. 5 years ago if you said gas would rise 25% in one swoop
they would have locked you up. Energy will "never" get cheaper.

I know of a solar DHW system installed in the oil crisis of 193/74. Most
had never heard of the stuff, many said it would not make back the cost.
Many said it wouldn't work. The usual comments. The only thing gone wrong
in 30 years is a new brass pump, well the head. The money it must have
saved over 30 years must be quite a stack.

I forgot to add in the earlier mail that I cannot add more insulation due to
no loft so this is what I seem to be left with.

Brian