Posted to rec.woodworking
W Canaday

Default When the "heirloom piece" line is crossed.

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 10:58:29 -0800, foggytown wrote:

Leon wrote:

IMHO an heirloom is a piece that is functional and built well enough to
last generations. Appearance has nothing to do with it.

Then we disagree. To me, an heirloom piece is an above-average example of
craftsmanship and attractiveness.

Actually, only time can accurately determine what is an heirloom and what
is dumpster fodder. But I like to think that pieces that are built
sturdily enough to withstand the ravages of much use or pieces so
attractive that others will desire to maintain them over time qualify for
the term when new. That is, if the piece was built with the intention that
it become an heirloom, then it may be referred to as one when new.

Jes' my two cents worth ... all goods worth price charged.

Bill