Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

Default JT 2-1/2 Spindle Chuch replacement

According to Trevor Jones :
Norm Dresner wrote:

I had to drill a hole yesterday and was using a #75 drill. Using my
7-diopter OptiVisor I could see no wiggling of the end of the drill which
should be an indication that the runout is pretty small. I've finally
gotten a dial indicator and magnetic base and I intend to measure the runout
as soon as I can get to it. Since the chuck does in fact close to (pretty
close to) zero and if the runout is as small as I think it is, I'd probably
be a fool to replace anything even though I'd love some more modern
conveniences.

[ ... ]

One alternative solution to drilling with very small bits is to make an
auxilary table that will raise the work to the drill bit. The last one I
saw was about 2 inches in diameter and used a rack and pinion to lift
the table. it only had about a half inch of travel but would allow at
least some feel, rather than guessing at the feed.

That is actually quite similar to many of the sensitive drill
presses to be found on eBay currently.

I agree that feel is an important consideration with such tiny
drill bits.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564