Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug

Default Heat pump replacement questions

Thanks for all the advice and help everyone.

Not wanting to muddy the waters in my first post I didn't mention that
this unit serves a 1000 SF office condo. I didn't include that fact
because the HVAC/heat pump/air handler setup is a 100% residential
application. The condenser sits right outside the unit on a concrete pad
and the air handler is right inside the unit with the typical wiring and
freon tubing connecting the two and the typical condensate pipe going
outside through the wall. The fact that the 1000 SF has desks in it
instead of bedroom furniture I figured was irrelevant. I did however
overlook the tax credit/deduction factors as it relates to residences
but in any event the expense will be some sort of deduction or credit.

The history behind all this is somewhat interesting.

The heat stopped about three weeks ago and the guy came out (recommended
by the boss) and gave the $2600 quote. I was on the verge of going with
it just in the interest of keeping my tenant happy (they've been great
over the years) when I got a call from the receptionist. Her boyfriend
had looked at it (he obviously knows something about these systems) and
found the fan had burnt out (I thought the emergency heat was working
but this was not the case). Upon my authorization he replaced the fan
(for a total of about $200 including the cost of the new fan) and the
heat worked fine. I called the $2600 guy back and I think he was a
little chagrined at that development.

Anyway, for those still reading, about 20 days later the heat stopped
again. The boyfriend looked at it and said the outside unit looks shot.
The boyfriend installed fan IS working fine however so the emergency
heat IS keeping the tenant warm, unlike the first time.

I'm figuring that since the unit is 20 years old it might be time for a
replacement instead of a fix. Since it's an office rental and the tenant
pays the electric bill, I'm not really that concerned with super
efficiency, just something reasonable. As part of this I'm going to call
the boyfriend up but he's out of town until next week.

That's the story. Any additional insight would be welcomed and thanks
all for your help.

Doug

Doug wrote:
I'm getting conflicting stories regarding replacing my heat pump.

It's 20 years old and it's time to send it off into that great freon
cloud in the sky. It services a 1000SF rental condo.

Anyway, one guy has said he can replace the outside unit with a 10 SEER
unit that won't neccesitate replacing the inside air handler. He wanted
something like $2600.

Another guy has said the the code now requires a 13 SEER unit and this
will mean replacing the inside air handler. He also mentioned the
phasing out of the old freon which won't be available in a few years. He
will get me a price in a few days as he said Carrier is backed up
getting quotes to him.

I have a third guy due to look at it next week.

I know all about the SEER ratings but can someone clue me in on the
issue of inside unit replacement regarding the 10 vs. the 13? and any
other matters I should be concerned about?

Thanks,

Doug