Posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI reset button keeps popping out

OK, thanks Jeff and others.

I pulled out all the devices plugged into all the appropriate
sockets...and the reset button still keeps popping. So it's either
condensed moisture or a bad GFCI.
I guess I'll call an electrician as I'm not an expert in these matters.

Thanks again.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
wrote:
First noticed this morning, the GFCI button installed in a wall outlet
in one of my bathrooms keeps popping out. This renders all the
bathroom sockets inoperable.

Is this a serious problem and what would be the likely cause and
solution? Thanks for info.

Sure sounds like it's probably doing its job as intended.

If anything is plugged into any of the "inoperable" bathroom sockets
with a three prong plug, try unpluging them one by one and see if the
problem is related to one of them, in which case that item probably has
internal leakage and needs to be repaired or tossed out. It's unlikely
that anything with a two prong plug would cause the problem unless it's
maybe a small appliance sitting in a puddle of water.

If the problem persists with nothing plugged into any of those outlets,
then you might have a bad GFCI receptical OR condensed moisture is
causing electrical leakage inside one of the recepticals or G-d forbid
in a hard to get at junction box. If the GFCI outlet also feeds power to
lights or an exhaust fan, there may be moisture causing leakage in one
of those devices.

In that case, to find out where the leakage is, first try disconnecting
the outgoing leads on the troubled GFCI receptical. (If you don't
understand what I just said, find someone who does, or hire a professional.)

If it's OK without the outgoing leads connected to it you're going to
have to hunt and peck at the other recepticals (and lights/fan if
connected too.) until you figure out where the leakage is at.

If it still "pops" with no outgoing leads connected to it, and nothing
plugged into it, replace that GFCI outlet, it must be bad.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia