Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default vacuum chuck testing

On 3 Mar 2006 21:40:42 -0800, "
wrote:

Hi Mac

They just showed up, the pictures that is.

Looks good, you used a plastic end cap over the bearings I think ??
with the brass elbow in it.
What you use for the inside, into the spindle, copper/steel pipe or
something else ??

My first attempt, which Bill Noble warned me would wear out quickly, was simply
a compressor quick disconnect, and it wore out pretty quickly..*g*
I lasted long enough to try a few chuck designs, though..

The 2nd try was a PVC joiner section with a bearing in each end, but I found
that 2 bearing aren't needed... all you need is yo isolate the handwheel from
the vacuum fitting...

I threaded the inside of the spindle to fit a brass gas fitting, then used an
adapter to get the thread size up to the inside diameter of the bearing.. I
think it was .625"..
I put the fitting in the lathe chuck and tapered the threads off the larger end
of the fitting with a file, then used thick CA and a jam fit to fasten it to the
bearing...

I picked an end cap that was slightly too small for the outside of the bearing,
put it in the chuck and widened the end at a taper with a sharp mini-skew...

While I had the cap in the chuck I drilled a 5/16 hole in the end of the cap for
the compression elbow..

It's still not a GOOD valve, but it works and has no leaks so far... It would be
MUCH more time efficient to just buy a complete system or have Bill make one up,
but it wouldn't be nearly as much fun.. *g*

Nice small clear bulb filter, makes it easy to see if anything is in
there, and you have a bleeder valve on the front side I suppose, can't
see it in the picture.

Next chapter in your quest for more round wood GG.

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis