Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default Handling 150 lbs devices -- my plan

"Steve B" wrote in message

"rigger" wrote

WHOLE BUNCHA STUFF SNIPPED

I have worked in the trades. I was a commercial diver. I was a certified
crane operator on drilling platforms in the Gulf of Mexico. I worked
assembling and disassembling derricks. I was a steel erection contractor
in the State of Nevada for nine years.

All required rigging knowledge.

I was certified by Offshore Petroleum Institute, the regulatory agency at
that time. I have attended many inhouse training programs and union held
classes on rigging that were recognized and sanctioned by OSHA.

I do know one or two things:

I have enough experience to know that if you try to lift things with
rafter trusses, it will work, or if will fail.

I know that if you ask a structural engineer if it will work, they will
simply tell you it is a bad idea.

I know if you go by the book, lifting by attaching to rafters is a no no.
Especially when they are probably 2 x 4s.

I know that there are about ten thousand better ways to make this lift
safely.

Like I said, hook it up. Lift it up. It will either succeed or fail. I
have made many lifts and procedures that were out of the bounds of what it
said in the book, and they worked.

Just watch from a safe position. Cause sometimes they work and sometimes
they don't. And that even goes for things you do the right way.

Whatever anyone does in the privacy of their own garage don't affect my
life.

Steve

Shoot for 150# I would just get my "little" boy to grab one in each hand and
put em where I want em