Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Glenn

Default Interesting q about water

"daniel peterman" wrote in message
It was community college and maybe I was having an off day.All I could
think of was the Grand Canyon. That surely wasn't carved by high
pressure but rather large volume. And I kept thinkin' of glaciers which
are water that moves real slow but carves monster trenches in the land.
I hate community college.
Oh and yes I have sent hundreds of hours behind(thankfully) pressure
washer machines so every time I switched it on That stupid question
would come flooding back.

There you have one of the easiest answers to the question by example.
Consider the output volume of a pressure washer .. say washin a wooden deck.
Prety small compared to the volume of the garden hose hooked up to it. You
can run the garden hose wide open all day long and not even dislodge most of
the dirt. The pressure washer will rip the deck apart if you aren't careful
with way less volume.
And then the glacier example .. slow yes but tremndous pressure and the
grand canyon ... that ain't no slow meandering stream down there