Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Stainless Steel Project Help(part 2)

The major problem with it is that you have to be careful to both
adjust the height of the tool holder (only once), and you have to adjust
the position of the cross slide to be precisely in the middle of the
spindle's axis -- *every* time you go back to that after doing something
else with the lathe.

Perhaps with a 60 degree center reamer the rear of a tool holder can be
shaped to fit the center in the tail stock. Lining up would then be a
matter of backing the tool holder into the tail stock.

Normally, a Morse taper shank should *already* have a center
hole from when it was made. And center drills should suffice. No need
for the center reamers.

The main question is whether the back of the shank will be
within access from the center. And also, as wear builds up, there will
be slop in the position of the tailstock ram and thus the center.

Hopefully I won't have to worry about that for a while.

This suggests that you need to find a *service* to receive things
for you, because MSC uses UPS for all their shipments which are not too
heavy. I suspect that it was your catalog.

Yes. I had UPS divert it to my job in Manhattan.

O.K.

(*Huge* catalog with *expensive* tools).

And some quite inexpensive things too. Look up the roll pins in
the size which you need. I expect that a box of 100 will be quite well
under $10.00. And look at the prices of screws. Compare the prices of
a box of 100 to perhaps three or four of the same size screw in a
hardware store -- especially in Home Depot. :-)

I've been carrying that catalog in my bag back and forth to work. That
should supplement the dumbell work I'll be doing for my shoulders. :-)

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.