Posted to uk.d-i-y
David Hansen

Default Solar Panels

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 17:43:10 GMT someone who may be Tony Bryer
wrote this:-

It may give you a good feeling but the economics don't stand up.

Are you trying to personalise the discussion for some reason? Does
it matter whether I get a good feeling or not?

In terms of simple payback solar water heating is certainly not the
best way to invest money. The payback period is at best long.
However, simple payback is not the only way of looking at things and
even if just considering money there are rather more sophisticated
ways of evaluating things. In addition to money there are other ways
of looking at an investment, such as reduction in carbon dioxide
emissions. Some people wish to do their bit, not just personally but
to encourage the industry. That is also why some people will do
things like use sustainable electricity or recycle things.

There are also other factors to consider. A well designed system
will mean that a boiler does not need to be run for 4-6 months a
year just to provide domestic hot water. This has advantages,
including prolonging the life of the boiler.

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh