Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Ralph

Default Shopsmith lathe info

George H Hughes wrote:
Shopsmith now has a speed reducer that you can use to slow it down a lot. I
don't use a speed reducer but have friends that do. I also own a Shopsmith.
George
Warner Robins, GA
snip.

Downsides (for my purposes) - Low speed is high - but this also applies
to most other low-end lathes, such as the ones you mention. Spindle is
small and oddball - not a big deal, especially if the present owner has
not lost the faceplates and drive centers that come with it. Lightweight
- with the high low speed, things which are not well balanced are very
hard to turn. I used to put 100 lb. bags of chicken feed across the
lower tubes to calm it down while turning from firewood. Not an issue if
turning from square stock. None of these items are really much better on
the $600 12x36's you are considering as an alternative.

I have a speed reducer, but use it only to rough out the block. Once
the wood is relatively balanced I remove the Speed reducer. It turns to
slow to try finishing the bowl (IMO).