Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Homemade Lathe

B a r r y wrote:
Michael wrote:

The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Carve it from blue or pink foam, fiberglass it, and use solvent to melt
out the foam. This is also the way many flying model jets are built.

FWIW, I live 40 minutes from Electric Boat, fly my little airplane over
it, in and out of Groton airport, and subs don't look round. I've seen
a bunch of them in sections and in drydock, and they all look oval
shaped to me. G

I suspect that a second hull is built on the outside of the pressure
hull. The outer hull would be shaped for purposes of minimizing
drag and maximizing roll stability.

--

FF