Harold & Susan Vordos

Default bport -- powerfeed question

"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message

The spring should be set to balance the weight of the quill - it isn't
intended to 'snap back up'

Andrew Mawson

Absolutely true! The "feel" of the quill will be compromised if the spring
is not set properly. When you have the quill spring tension set right, you
can "feel" what a small drill is doing. That can be very important if you
do small work.

I have mine set such that the weight of the handle when set forward will
cause the quill to drop, or hold it in position if you move it to the rear.
When doing small work, I even remove the little quill locking handle, which
tends to add drag to the quill, costing me some of the feel. It's all in
how you use your machine that makes the difference.

Harold