Posted to uk.d-i-y
Doctor Drivel

Default Solar water heating

"T i m" wrote in message
On Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:10:33 -0000, "ashnook"
wrote:

I am looking at building a solar water heating system for domestic hot
water. I have 'Googled' and found quite a few good sites for DIY panels,
does anyone in this group have any good links to panel construction and
control systems?

Also has anyone (silly question!) done it and was it worth it.

I can but a system for about 2.5K but I would like to try to do some or
all
of it myself.

I have followed some threads on this in the past and think there are a
few 'questions' you might need to answer first.

1) Do you intend to stay at that place for a good few years (if you
are interested in clawing the installation cost back via energy
savings? That time will depend on the cost of the install (may be
improved by your diy input) and the cost of 'buying in' energy (going
up fast at the moment).

2) From a global point of view, how long would it take to recoupe the
energy expended making the items you use for the cheating the project
(along the lines where electrical solar panels used (?) to take more
energy to make than they ever gave back in their lifespans)?

The above is compared with locations where you actually have a choice
of course (like a gas / electric supply .. ie you aren't in the
middle of nowhere ...) ;-)

Being in the middle of nowhere makes solar energy more necessary and
appealing.

Given all positive answers to the above and that you have a favorable
outlook (South facing etc) and you make the system 'big / concise
enough' then I believe it's possible to provide much of your hot water
most of the year .. even in the UK ;-)

All the best .. and good luck if you go for it .. ;-)

T i m

Depending on how it is done (panels looking ugly on the roof right at the
front, etc) and positive proof of savings, a solar system can be a selling
point, and may add some value.