Posted to misc.consumers.frugal-living,misc.consumers.house
The Real Bev

Default Stocking up for emergencies

Gary Heston wrote:

CanopyCo wrote:
[ ... ]
Bread is going to be a problem, considering that most like fresh bread.
You can store bread in the freezer if you want, or learn to bake it.
A bread maker is great for that.

There are hand-cranked breadmakers?

My grandma called that a "breadboard". You can still get them. They don't
bake it, though.

A supply of flour and cornmeal, yeast, and baking soda kept in a freezer
or in very well sealed containers might be a better idea. If you have
power for a breadmaker, you'll have it for refrigeration.

Laying in a supply of crackers would be a good idea. As long as the
inner bag isn't opened, they'll keep for a long time.

Crackers are good. Even Twinkies will provide needed calories in a pinch, and
there is no known method of destruction short of digestion that will hurt them.

--
Cheers,
Bev