Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Shopsmith lathe info

"Brian C" wrote:

"Lobby Dosser" wrote:
Mac has the sanding plate on the Back End. That is the power takeoff
end for things like the joiner, planer, and bandsaw - which is why I
commented on it ripping along, as the PTO runs at about 10K. You are
correct that you can use the sanding plate on the front end and
advance the quill.

I am confused as my Shopsmith has two PTOs on the rear end, one
(in-line with the spindle) runs at the same speed as the spindle, the
other (lower) runs a bit faster. The motor runs at 1700 and the speed
control is between the motor and the lower PTO so I don't see how
either could run at 10K..

I use the lower PTO as an input shaft for my DC motor setup for
extremely slow speeds.

BrianC

I may be the one confused. IIRC, the lower runs at top speed, or
thereabouts. The upper, as you point out, should run at the same speed as
the spindle.