Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick

Default Solar water heating

ashnook wrote:

I am looking at building a solar water heating system for domestic hot
water. I have 'Googled' and found quite a few good sites for DIY panels,
does anyone in this group have any good links to panel construction and
control systems?

Also has anyone (silly question!) done it and was it worth it.

I can but a system for about 2.5K but I would like to try to do some or all
of it myself.

This one on a mountain hut does not look elegant but it works
like a charm. It works off tank water, and the water is so hot it
needs to have a temperature limiter.
http://i2.tinypic.com/qowuog.jpg

I've always wondered why a cheapskate one couldn't be built using
vast coils of cheap black plastic pipe of a type that can stand
being in the sun for years, and covered with old window sashes or
similar. If you are prepared to have a small electric pump, that
could feed to an existing tank that does not have to be on the
roof. It would need a way of releasing pressure in case the pump
stopped.