RDC RDC is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfgray
The bottom half of my screen intermittently shrinks like a bowtie and
sometimes the picture would just disappear. Giving the TV a good
smack fixes it. Then, after the TV warms up, the problem no longer
intermittently appears.

I resoldered a bunch of connections. Now, when I turn the TV on, I
get the degauss sound and the power light blinks like it normally
does during warm up, but the picture never comes on. When I was
resoldering, I found a spot that looked like sony spilled some solder
and may have shorted two connections on the mainboard. I cleaned that
solder off. Could that have been an intentional solder connection on
this TV model?

Also, I pulled on that thick red wire that goes from this transformer
thing on the main board directly to the picture tube. I then
realized it wasn't supposed to come out of the transformer thing.
TIA

-------------= Posted from Ugroups.com =-------------
---= Fast & Free Web Portal to Usenet Newsgroups =---

Those Sony sets are notorious for having bad solder joints that can kill the Power Supply and/or H.O.T. Ceck and see if the H.O.T is shorted and then resolder everything that leads up to it, driver transistor, transformer ect. Check the power supply for shorted transistors as well as as an open resistor, R607.

Pulling the Anode wire (big red wire) out of the "flyback transformer" is EXTREMELY dangerous. Even if the sets been off for awhile and is unpluged the tube still has a charge in it. You may want to leta tech handle the rest of the repairs before ya discover the shocking side of TV repair.

Last edited by RDC : March 4th 06 at 05:44 AM