Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Al Bundy

Default Roofing shingle questions ?

"RicodJour" wrote in
oups.com:

James wrote:
I am going to be re-roofing a small shed. I plan to use the GAF
Grand Timberline 50 year architectural shingle. I have several
questions:

I have read that I should use a "starter" course along the eaves and
rakes of the roof. But, the book that I am reading says that this
starter course should be a 3-tab type shingle. Why is this ??

Good question. That's a dated method. Most manufacturer's make a
roll of starter strip that is around 35' long. There's no need to cut
off the tabs and throw material away and there's no gap along the roof
edge.

GAF is one of the few that doesn't appear to sell the stuff in rolls.
Instead they have individual starter shingles:
http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20214.pdf

I would go with the roll starter strip, even if it means getting
another manufacturer's product, as it's faster and there is _no_
advantage in having seams where you don't need or want them.

I don't see a 3-tab shingle at the GAF website that comes in the same
color as the architectural shingle that I would like to buy. (I
guess it doesn't matter much if the starter rows would all be covered
up anyhow ??)

All covered up, no problem with color.

I have thought of using the rubberized WeatherGuard instead of felt.
Is this better than paper felt? Although I think it would be quite
expensive for a house, just 1 roll would do for my shed.

Probably not necessary unless it's a very low pitched roof.

Should I order 1 1/2 nails for these architectural (50 yr)
shingles?

1 1/2" is pretty standard if you have plywood sheathing. The tip of
the nail should penetrate the sheathing completely and project about
3/8" on the underside.

What size nails would I get to lay down the WeatherGuard ?? Would
it be the same type nail as the nails for the shingles ??

Staples, or you can use the same nails. No need to complicate matters
with different size nails - not much difference.

Staples, or you can use the same nails. No need to complicate matters
with different size nails - not much difference.

So why do they use these plastic cap nails for felt?

http://www.simplexnails.com/PlexCapDataSheet.html

I had never seen them used till I saw pro roofers doing roofs in the
south. I always saw and used just staples myself. You see the roofers in
the northeast with one of those swing staplers and it goes fast.

Those plastic cap ones, with the volume a roofer uses, must tap into
profits and probably take a lot longer to put in.

Once the shingles are on, the shingles and nails hold everything down
anyway.