Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony

Default suggestions on water filter housing

I've got an old Master Plumber (True value) whole house water filter
setup in my garage right after my pressure tank, and lately when I
change out the sediment cartridge, it's become increasingly difficult to
loosen the filter housing to get to the cartridge. I do eventually get
it, while trying to put minimal strain on the pipes (fortunately, I can
brace the pipes with my shoulder as I'm trying to unscrew the housing),
however it seems to be more difficult than say a couple of years ago.
I've taken to greasing the O-ring with silicone grease after loosening
it, but it doesn't really seem to help. I have heard some people say
that a strap wrench on the filter will be much better than the supplied
filter wrenches that just grab the fins. I also always open a downstairs
faucet before attempting this job. Does anybody have a suggestions as to
what could make this task somewhat easier?
Thanks in advance for any help.

Tony

P.S. Around a year ago, on advice from a friend, I lubricated the
threads of the filter with Vaseline, not silicone. Could this be helping
creating a problem now?