Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Shopsmith lathe info

On Sat, 04 Mar 2006 03:33:38 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: (clip)mine is set up semi-permanently as a horizonal
drill press with the 12" disk sander on the other end..
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That's a very useful point. I have never used a Shopsmith, but I am told
that the above setup is very useful, and very rare. Because of the
multipurpose nature of the Shopsmith, you can set it up as a disc sander
with a quill feed. This allows you to sand end grain in one stroke, making
them square, true to length and smooth.

I do that sometimes, Leo, but usually it's set up like it is now, with the
sanding disk and small table on the rear spindle...
When used on the main spindle with the quill as you mentioned, one of the things
it's really good for is squaring up a bunch of pen blanks...

I just got into pens, but when you cut and drill a bunch of blanks (both on the
SS) it's a real pain to use a pen mill on each one...

Using the rip fence and the miter fence, you have an instant "jig" for squaring
them, and the quill stop lets you sand them to a uniform length..

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis