Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
mac davis

Default Shopsmith lathe info

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 23:18:17 GMT, Lobby Dosser
wrote:

mac davis wrote:

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 18:54:54 GMT, "Dave" wrote:

I have a chance to get a used Shopsmith real reasonable. I am only
interested in using it as a lathe and I was wondering what your
opinion/s of it is for lathe work. Would I be better off getting a
Delta or Jet? They cost 600 bucks plus. Thanks for your opinions.

how much do they want for the shopsmith and what comes with it?

I'm on my 2nd one, and though I don't use it as a lathe any more, it's
a great way to start...
If it includes at least the standard kit of lathe chisels, saw blades,
drill press chuck, 12" sanding disk and all, you'll love it.. mine is
set up semi-permanateky as a horizonal drill press with the 12" disk
sander on the other end..

That 12" disc sander is whipping right along!

sort of.. Most of the drilling is on big stock, so it's pretty much at disk
sander speed...
It would be kind of scary in the upright position though.. *g*

Mac

https://home.comcast.net/~mac.davis