Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
Lobby Dosser

Default Shopsmith lathe info

"Leo Lichtman" wrote:

"mac davis" wrote: (clip)mine is set up semi-permanently as a
horizonal drill press with the 12" disk sander on the other end..
That's a very useful point. I have never used a Shopsmith, but I am
told that the above setup is very useful, and very rare. Because of
the multipurpose nature of the Shopsmith, you can set it up as a disc
sander with a quill feed. This allows you to sand end grain in one
stroke, making them square, true to length and smooth.

Mac has the sanding plate on the Back End. That is the power takeoff end
for things like the joiner, planer, and bandsaw - which is why I commented
on it ripping along, as the PTO runs at about 10K. You are correct that you
can use the sanding plate on the front end and advance the quill.