Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
George H Hughes

Default Shopsmith lathe info

Penn State Industries sells an adapter so that their chucks (any chuck for
that matter) will work with the Shopsmith. That said, I have used that
adapter to use standard lathe items from my midi lathe on the Shopsmith.
Only one that is questionable is the technique I used to put a #21 MT on the
spindle. Questionable but it works.
Also Shopsmith now sells a new tool rest system for the Shopsmith, called
the Universal Tool Rest. Works almost like a regular banjo but not quite.
It is much better than the old tool rest.
I still use my SS as a lathe. It works fine once it is understood like all
lathes. Will not get rid of my Shopsmith, well maybe trade for a new house,
about 2000 sq feet will do.. Hee Hee

George
Warner Robins, GA

"snip

This is my first post - been reading for a few weeks and am very
impressed with the knowledge and experience of this group. That said,
I have a Shopsmith (that I also bought very reasonably) and agree with
the other two replies. The lathe function is, IMO, more compromising
than any of the other SS configurations. Too light (can be taken care
of as already mentioned). Too low (I'm 5'10" and the back takes a
beating everytime I use it as a lathe). Tailstock is quirky, but
useable, and uses standard #2MT centers. As mentioned, you'll need the
5/8" spur centers, faceplates, etc. I've never gotten used to the tool
rest - it always seems to be slightly too far this way or that way; and
the fact that it cantilevers out over the ways detracts from any
strength it might have had. At times I've had to build temporary
"supports" to bridge between the ways and the end of the cantilever arm
to gain additional strength.
Maybe all this is just me, but I don't like it as a lathe. But, until
I got my little Jet mini, it was all I had so that's what I used when
necessary. That phrase, "when necessary", says it all. The lathe used
to be soothing and calming for me back when I taught woodworking, and
the SS was simply too much hassle to be anything but nerve racking and
tiring. Now I'm smiling again with my little Jet (but I'm also looking
for something additional that'll let me turn larger bowls).
That all said, if your "reasonable" price is low enough... sic'em.