Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning

Default Turning green aspen

Hi Cuchura

I have turned a few bowls out of some aspen I brought along out of BC a
number of years ago, and also poplar and willow from the area over here
in Southern Ontario Canada, the problem with aspen/popular/willow is
there are a number of different species in that group, something like
350 species worldwide and 35 or so native, then we have natural and
manmade hybrids, so turning willow and popular and aspen is not always
the same.
Most are fuzzy like yours, some less so, colors range from a muddy
white to a light golden tan, and from just plain wood to a really
beautiful shimmering chatoyance.
Light weight wood that does not split readily when drying, but it is
soft and easily dinged and damaged.
I find with the willow and aspen/ poplar that the presentation of the
tool makes a big difference, you really have to hold it so that it cuts
or better slices, and of course the tool has to be sharp.
Try to keep your shapes with no abrupt changes and when sanding don't
go for the real course paper, or you have a lot of torn grain to clean
up.
There are a couple of willow/poplar turnings in my albums, take a look
if you like.

http://homepage.mac.com/l.vanderloo/PhotoAlbum28.html

Have fun and take care
Leo Van Der Loo