Posted to rec.woodworking
AAvK

Default Allthread for my bench top?

(Good name, BTW!) The only place I have seen this used is to support a
shoulder vise (Frank Klausz bench), where there are significant forces
trying to pull the boards apart. And in my bench, I have predrilled
(except for the last 1/2" or so) to be able to add that in the future
if needed. So far, I haven't needed it even there. On other parts of a
bench have no such pulling-apart force that I can see. If your lumber
is relatively well seasoned, and you are not subjecting it to huge
humidity swings, I can't see what the allthread will add.

And 3/4" seems to be WAY overkill. I'm not an engineer, but what
forces could you possibly be dealing with that a 3/8" or 1/2" rod
wouldn't handle?

Note: Like any other, this free advice may be worth what you paid for
it, so consider it only one guy's opinion.

Alex

Thanks Alex that all makes a lot more sense. I think the Klausz bench is practicaly
a science project... in order to win a phd, that thing is 'so tech'. But where I live is
known for "the best weather in the world" (as it were), the changes are mild. We
are on the US southern west coast as a mild desert with rain in the winter, NBD.

--
Alex - "newbie_neander" woodworker
cravdraa_at-yahoo_dot-com