Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Default can you weld a pinhole in a water tank? - FOLLOWUP

Don Bruder wrote:
In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

wrote:

On Fri, 03 Mar 2006 09:26:33 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Happily, the company (Amtrol) realized that there was no way this tank
should be
failing, and is replacing the $1200 tank under warranty. I'm off to pick it
up
now. This is an extremely positive development. When I get the old one out
I'll
cut it open and report on a post mortem.

Did Amtrol acknowledge other similar failures with that specific tank?
You'd think they'd like to disect it to pinpoint (no pun intended) why
it failed.

Snarl

I didn't talk to Amtrol, our heating contractor did, so I can't answer that
question.

GWE

Just a quick heads-up to consider, Grant...

Before you start cutting the beast open, make *SURE* (in writing, if
possible) that Amtrol *DOESN'T* want it back so they can do a
post-mortem on it themselves. Otherwise, you may find yourself getting
billed for the new one because their procedures weren't followed, or
some similar trumped-up excuse.

With the "Find somebody else to take the blame/pick up the tab" society
we've got today, I'd be at least somewhat surprised if they didn't want
the old one back for inspection/testing.

I specifically talked to the guy at the commercial plumbing supply about this,
and he had me bring in the actual nameplate from the tank, they do NOT want the
old tank back. They don't much care about QC problems from 11 years ago, but
they don't want someone else claiming a new tank off this serial number either,
so the actual physical plate goes back to the factory, and no replacement gets
issued without that actual plate. Strange system, but effective.

GWE