Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Default Handling 150 lbs devices -- my plan

Greg O wrote:
"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sounds like a good setup Iggy. I guess my experiences rigging and
insistance on the safety of my crews made me overreact to Steve's
offhand comments.

I have a chain host on rails, mounted to the ceiling in my garage. I covers
a 8' x 15' area. BUT, the unusual part is the gent that built the garage put
floor trusses in the middle of the garage where I ended up mounting the
hoist. Each rail is bolted up through two adjacent trusses, to the top run,
where the load belongs. I have lifted over 2000 lbs. with this set up! Would
I recommend it for someone else? No way! Would I do it again? Yes sir!

A very nice setup. Not a bad philosophy either. If you're not sure
you definitly should not recommend.

A little common sense goes along way. The trouble with the internet, and
newsgroups, is you have no clue if the fellow asking the question has any
common sense!

You're so right Greg.

That's also part of the reason I watch this type of topic. During my
years as a rigger in Local 136 in Chicago I had the privilege of
working with and learning from other journeyman riggers whose families
went back for generations in the trade. I had years of experience
before I could finally call myself a journeyman rigger. To me, someone
with light experience, trying to pass themselves off as a true rigger,
is a dishonorable joke.

When I read posts by people who try to pass themselves off as knowing
something about rigging this really makes my antenna go up. If it's
only a matter of overkill I chuckle to myself and generally let it
pass, sometimes throwing in my ideas but never denigrating others.

The problem arises when someone knowing less than the "pseudo rigger
poster" accepts what they say lending validity to the idea of their
claimed experience. Then what will happen when a really BAD idea comes
from them?

The other reason I post to this type of thing is that I've yet to see a
post by another, trained, rigger. It makes me feel I have an
obligation to all the people who freely supply the metalworking
knowledge I so enjoy. I think that's only fair.

Anyway, time to move on.

dennis
in nca