Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Fred McKenzie

Default Power/Mate corp BPA-10E

In article , sck0006 wrote:

Sorry, didn't mean to be unclear. The panel meter (analog meter) is
correct, agrees w/ the fluke. THe voltage at a minimum is about 2.5v,
and max is around 12.5V. That's what I meant by the offset, the
supply I believe should be adjustable from 0 to 10, not 2.5 to 12.5
(the panel meter is 1-10V). I was trying to be clear that the meter
was not the problem, and ended up being more confusing than anything.

Yes, I now realize my errors in the calculation. Funny, that's why I
wrote that note about the calculations being brutal, because I knew I
was doing something wrong but was too tired to figure it out.

I wasn't able to find specs on the supply anywhere. The only
Power/Mate website I could find is www.pduke.com, which doesn't seem
to be the right company, or they switched.

Steve-

As far as I can tell, Power Mate Corporation may have been absorbed by
another company. They don't seem to be doing business under that name any
more. (If you had a 20-year-old Allied catalog, it might have more data.)

I found several of their power supplies for sale at various surplus
outlets as well as on eBay.

One BPA-10C was listed on eBay as being 0 - 10 Volts at two amps. With
your four output transistors, ten amps might be possible at the higher
voltage if the power transformer and rectifiers can handle it. Otherwise,
four might be necessary to deliver two amps at minimum voltage since
voltage-drop is greater.

Typical power supplies of this class used a uA723 voltage regulator IC to
drive the transistors. If yours has an IC, even if it has a proprietary
part number, look for typical circuits on a 723 data sheet and see if
anything looks familiar.

It is possible that yours is working perfectly, and that your assumption
it can be adjusted all the way to zero is incorrect. Being able to adjust
it above 10 volts is misleading, since it may not be able to maintain the
higher voltage under full load.

Fred