Posted to rec.woodworking
Michael

Default Homemade Lathe

"Michael" wrote in message
k...
Hi,

I need to turn a piece of wood thats 4m (12') long by 50cm (20") wide
(diameter). Would a piece of wood this size be suitable for turning on a
lathe, if I was to make one especially for this purpose?

The item I'll be turning will be a (model) submarine hull.

Does anyone have any better suggestions?

Thanks

Michael

Thanks for all the replies. The submaine will be used as a plug from which
I'll pull a fibreglass hull. Obviously becuase of this the wood doesn't have
to be very hard wearing and will only be used for a short time. I thinking
about glueing multiple strips (2" x 1" etc) together then turning that. The
hull will have to be a solid.

The submarine will be a R/c Akula class if anyone is interested. The main
shape of the hull is a teardrop shape, althought it does have a slightly
flat deck.

I thought about making it in multiple sections, but wondered how easy it
would be to get the all the same size.

With it being a oneoff, I don't really want to spend lots of money making
it. If I was to make my own, what sort of motor am I looking at needing, and
at what rpm will it have to turn?

Michael