Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon

Default When the "heirloom piece" line is crossed.

wrote in message
oups.com...
Sometimes you find drawers with the back inserted into
a dado so that the sides extend an inch or more past the
useable space in the drawer. I figured that was so that when
the drawer was open 'all the way' it wouldn't fall out of the
carcass.

Other than that, I agree it makes no sense to make the drawer
shallower than the carcass.

The longer sides to keep the drawer from falling out very well could be the
reasoning. Unfortunately if that is the case that practice is to make up
for the wide margin of tolerance in the fit. When I build drawers there is
no over hang and they will not fall out unless you pull them all the way
out.

It has to be a cost savings measure.