Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Default Handling 150 lbs devices -- my plan

"rigger" wrote

I guess my experiences rigging and
insistance on the safety of my crews made me overreact to Steve's
offhand comments.

Sorry Steve, I guess I may have been a little harsh.

dennis
in nca

I thought I just said that putting a beam over the rafters was a good idea.
I thought I said that it might cause some distortion, but still hold.

I insisted on safety practices from all of my crews. Never had a man hurt
badly, and never dropped anything big or important. (Biggest lift, 28,000#)
I think lifting with rafters is a bad idea, yet I would do it if I could
spread the load over more than two rafters.

MAJOR point: 150# is not a lot when spread out. More than that, I believe
would start to become marginal and dangerous. In that case, I would still
do it, but use some vertical shoring under horizontal supports with screw or
hydraulic jacks, and then I would do it confidently.

Just me. What you do after you close your garage door is okay with me.

Steve